Trail Conference Stewards Are Ambassadors for Safe, Enjoyable, and Responsible Recreation OutdoorsOur Steward program is possible through the support of our generous donors and sponsors.
Weekends and holidays, May through October, Trail Stewards educate and assist the public in the safe, responsible, and enjoyable use of trails and parks. Our Stewards provide helpful outreach and information about park regulations, hiker safety, preparedness, and other best practices. In addition to readying hikers, Stewards help discourage and mitigate misuse of trails and the surrounding lands through their education and public relations work.
Stewards field questions from visitors, promote pre-hike planning, and teach Leave No Trace principles. Stewards are intimately familiar with the trail system, as well as local towns, in an effort to help promote tourism. They share trail information and are trained in Wilderness First Aid. Stewards promote volunteer opportunities to encourage further engagement in protecting trails and the land they traverse. Their work helps to attract and inform a diverse audience in outdoor recreation and stewardship.
Meet Our Stewards on the Trail
- Ashokan Rail Trail in Boiceville, N.Y.
- Appalachian Trail at Bear Mountain State Park, Orange and Rockland Counties, N.Y.
- Breakneck Ridge in Hudson Highlands State Park Preserve, Putnam and Dutchess Counties, N.Y.
- Catskill Mountains: Burrough's Loop Range, Blackhead Range, North Point, and Giant Ledge, Ulster and Greene Counties, N.Y.
- Croton Gorge Unique Area, Westchester County, N.Y.
- Minnewaska State Park Preserve at Gertrude's Nose and Verkeerderkill Falls in Ulster County, N.Y.
- Wawayanda State Park, Ramapo Mountain State Forest, and Worthington State Forest in New Jersey
- Hudson Highlands Land Trust
- John and Frank Sparacio Charitable Foundation
- Shelby Cullom Davis Charitable Fund, Inc.
- Diane Alden
- Town of Cortlandt
- Mountain Tops Outfitters
- Community Grants Fund of Putnam County of the Community Foundations of the Hudson Valley
- Friends of the Old Croton Aqueduct, Inc.
- Town of Ossining
- Teatown Lake Reservation
- Marie Considine
- Marguerite Pitts
- Robert Pearson
- Choire Sicha
- Village of Croton
- Town of Ossining
- New York State Department of Environmental Conservation
- Thomas Campanile
- Parks and Trails New York